Sunday, March 24, 2013

Behind the scenes



A throw away comment made to me by a friend last week has got me thinking about how my blog life and our real life could seem very different. She said that when she looks at my blog it makes her feel bad for not doing projects for her child. It was funny because at the same time I was thinking how organised her home was and how whenever I saw her she looked so amazing and calm.. like one of those mothers that just stepped out of the baby catalogue. Why couldn’t I find the time to make more of an effort with my appearance instead of living my life in my baggy jeans and converse sneakers?

When I started this blog a few months back it was as much (perhaps more) a therapy for myself as a resource for others. It was a creative outlet that allowed me to find a piece of myself again. Many mothers talk about losing their sense of self after pregnancy and needing a way to still feel like an individual and not just some baba’s mother. I think it’s so important for mothers to still feel like ‘real people’ and you should do whatever you can to allow you achieve this. Whether it be through staying social by getting out to meet your friends, keeping up your appearance or keeping your house in order so it doesn’t seem like your old life is lost for good…. Now more than ever just do whatever makes you happy! This blog was to allow me have a foot back in my previous life of design and creativity that I loved so much.

But unfortunately we can’t have it all (where would we put it??) so these choices so often come with trade-offs. I’m about to show you mine. Here is a little window into our ‘real’ everyday life. Not the blogger instagramed version. Try not to be too shocked…

As you can see my trade-off has come at the expense of our house! The ironic thing is that before Rián came along I was super organised and house proud. Nothing was every out of place. Well look at me now!

But hey, as I said... whatever makes you happy!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I constantly feel like I'm the only one who can't keep on top of housework and juggle my children. Thank you from another former neat freak with a constantly present clothes horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete